News & Events
Get to know all news and events of our Search and Rescue Team
2022 Montrose SAR Activity
JANUARY: The team had 9 operations this month. Notable call outs included:
- Rescue of two sledders who lost control and went off Mt. Disappointment Road. Air Rescue 5 was able to locate the two victims who were uninjured.
- Rescue of a Mountain Biker near Switzer’s Falls who experienced a 60-foot fall. Victim was transported to the hospital by helicopter.
- Team called to Sierra Madre to assist in a search for a lost hiker on Winter Creek Trail. Fire Copter 19 located the hiker who was uninjured.
- Rescue of two victims in a Vehicle over the side at Angeles Crest Highway, one victim was transported by helicopter to the hospital.
- Joint operation with LA City Fire department at Riverwood Ranch responding to a Vehicle over the side.
- Rescue of a victim from Vehicle over the side on Big Tujunga Canyon Road, with victim transported to hospital by helicopter.
FEBRUARY: The team had 17 ops this month. Notable call outs included:
- A victim and his two dogs fell nearly 200 feet down the face of a cliff off Big Tujunga Road. The man and one dog were rescued the first day; team returned the following day to locate and rescue the 2nd
- Team was called to assist San Dimas SAR for a search for two victims suffering exposure. Fire Copter 19 was able to hoist visits to safety once they were located.
- Three missing hikers last seen at Switzer’s Falls. They were located uninjured and were hoisted by LA Copter 21.
- Family of 5 hiked to Josephine Peak and became cliffed out. Once located, Fire Copter 21 was able to land on one skid and brought all to safety.
- Team night time joint operation with LA Co Fire department, Air Rescue 5 and Angeles Forestry Service on Angeles Crest Highway for a car over the side. The victim was trapped in the vehicle and was extricated following a 10 hour effort by all.
- Rescue of a victim from a fall off Angeles Forest Highway.
- Search for an elderly victim who was reported missing for 48 hours. He was located out of the area in good condition.
- Winch truck operation for car 60 feet over the side off Angeles Forest Highway. Victim uninjured.
- Search in the San Gabriel peak area for a missing woman and daughter who reportedly fell from trail. Victims were located and in good condition.
MARCH: The team had 5 ops this month. Notable call outs included:
- Seven of our team members night searched the Arroyo for 2 missing hikers. They were located and were hiked out safely before morning.
- Assisted San Dimas SAR with a vehicle collision with multiple patients who were airlifted by Air Rescue 5 to the hospital.
- Team rescued a victim who fell from the Big Tujunga bridge, taken by air rescue to hospital.
- Montrose was successful in passing the annual MRA reaccreditation test, held this year in Joshua Tree in the discipline of Technical Rock Rescue.